Skin cancers can be treated effectively if you see your dermatologist sooner rather than later. Dr. Obayan works with and treats patients dealing with various types of cancers at different stages.
What are the types of Skin Cancer?
The three most common types of skin cancer are:
- Basal Cell Carcinoma: This is the most common non-melanoma skin cancer. It can appear anywhere on the body as a pearly lump or scaly, dry area that is shiny or pale pink.
- Squamous Cell Carcinoma: This is the second most common form of non-melanoma skin cancer that appears in areas exposed to a lot of sunlight; it appears as a thickened red scaly lump and tends to be tender.
- Melanoma: This is less common but is the most serious form of skin cancer. It begins in the melanocytes – small cells in the skin that normally produce the skin pigment. Melanoma can grow out of normal skin but is more often seen as a change in an existing mole or even from freckles.
How is skin Cancer treated?
When identified early, most skin cancers can be treated without the use of extensive surgery or medication. In many cases, Dr. Obayan may do a biopsy to analyze the tissue to arrive at a diagnosis. Dr. Obayan uses a combination of surgical excisions to remove the entire skin cancer when necessary or could opt for topical medications that can get rid of the skin cancer without surgery.
What are the causes and risk factors for skin cancer?
In most cases people with lighter skin tones are at higher risk of getting Squamous cell or Basal Cell Carcinoma along with Melanoma. This is especially true in places where they have high exposure to sunlight. However, there are several other factors that contribute to cancer growth, including the following:
- Genetic and heredity factors
- Compromised immunity
- Sun exposure
- Light skin
- Previously diagnosed with skin cancer
- Tanning beds
- Previous x-ray exposure
Dr. Obayan is available to discuss your case at any time and she is always willing to help you, should you be diagnosed with skin cancer.
Major Accepted Insurance Providers
Please contact our office if you do not see your insurance provider listed below.
9015 Mountain Ridge Drive
Austin, TX 78759
Get in Touch
|Tuesday:||9:00 am - 5:30 pm|
|Wednesday:||9:00 am - 5:30 pm|
|Thursday:||9:00 am - 5:30 pm|
|Friday:||9:00 am - 5:30 pm|