Holistic skin care with natural products
There are many natural, non pharmaceutical products to treat skin conditions. Sometimes it’s difficult to know what works and what doesn’t. This is why it is important to see a Board Certified Dermatologist. Dr. Obayan is passionate about providing you non-pharmaceutical options to treat your skin, if that is what you desire. Some holistic therapies include:
Nature-made treatments for acne:
- Azelaic acid. A natural compound found in skin and on wheat and barley that reduces inflammation and kills acne-causing bacteria.
- Tea tree oil
- Witch hazel. Also a natural anti-inflammatory that decreases redness and inflammation. However, it can be drying to the skin
- Blue and Red light. Natural light that can kill bacteria in the skin and reduce skin redness, fighting pimples.
- Zinc. An oral supplement that boosts the immune system and fights bacteria in the skin.
Wrinkle prevention and anti-aging:
- Many nature-made compounds have been found to fight wrinkles and reduce the aging effect of the sun. Some of these include:
- Carotenoids. Wrinkle preventing antioxidants found in carrots and other vegetables.
- Feverfew. Found in chrysanthemums and other flowers. Has powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Green tea. Has anti-aging and anti-wrinkle effects.
- Olive oil. Protects against the oxidizing damage from the sun that causes brown spots and wrinkles.
- Coffee berry. Contains powerful polyphenol antioxidants that can treat brown spots, even skin tone, and improve wrinkles.
- Helpful for patients with inflammatory diseases such as acne, psoriasis, eczema, rashes, joint pain, and arthritis.
- Turmeric/curcumin. Turmeric is a spice that contains curcumin, a very powerful natural anti-inflammatory that can treat inflammation in the pancreas, skin, joints, and several other body parts.
- Ashwagandha. An herbal supplement that has anti-inflammatory effects, boosts the immune system, and can improve anxiety and nerve health.
- Ginger. A root that has been used for thousands of years. It’s a natural anti-inflammatory, anti-histamine, and can fight breast and ovarian cancer and boost your immune system.
- Reservatrol. Anti-inflammatory found in the skin of red grapes, peanuts, and berries.
- Spirulina. Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory found in green and blue algae and contains many essential vitamins. Great in smoothies.
Nature-made treatments for dark spots:
- Vitamin C
- Licorice extract
- Kojic Acid
- Azelaic Acid
- Coffee berry
Nature-made treatments for fungal infections:
- Vinegar. White distilled vinegar has been found to kill bacteria and fungus in the skin
- Camphor- menthol (in mint and Vicks vapor rub)
- Tea-tree oil
- Bitter orange oil